Associate Director, Social Media – GQ
GQ is searching for a savvy, organized, innovative and self-motivated Associate Director of Social Media to help lead an existing 2-person engagement team. The Associate Director will help shape the voice, strategy, and programming on social media for GQ.com and GQStyle.com, and will provide oversight and guidance for other members of the team.
The ideal candidate will have a proven record of building and managing massive audiences on social media, a deep understanding of what makes content successful on each platform, and will be adept with strategies and tactics that increase social engagement and click-through.
A successful candidate will have the ability to spot trending stories and will know how to develop programming strategies around tent pole events. They will have experience developing social-first content beyond the written word, and will be adept at the creation and optimization of social video for platforms like Instagram Stories and Facebook Live.
Candidates should have a passion for the topics GQ covers - ranging from fashion to pop culture to sports – and should have a keen ear for GQ’s voice and an eye for our signature look, able to pair good taste with quantitative findings to make quick decisions on everything from copy and creative to collaborators and new platforms.
• Work closely with GQ’s Director of Audience and social team members to develop and execute innovative social programming
• Hone GQ’s voice and visual presentation on social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube and others. Maintain a strong visual personality and style guide for GQ’s social media – incorporating GIFs, native video, live video, illustration, animation, graphic design, and photography.
• Execute social media campaigns that grow our following and yield significant referral traffic. Help team members better understand what will amuse, inform and entertain our audience, and what leads to sharing and engagement.
• Work with digital, print and creative departments to ensure that social strategy is baked into the editorial process, and secure exclusive content for social channels including behind-the-scenes photos, videos, on-site coverage from live events, and tentpole activations. Help plan and promote special editorial packages on key trends and events (the NBA Playoffs, Fashion Week, etc.).
• Spearhead social content partnerships both within Conde Nast and across the web with like-minded brands, celebrities and social media influencers.
• Internalize the site’s analytics, and excel at identifying opportunities for growth in engagement or referral traffic based on data and industry trends
• 5-6 years of relevant experience managing social media for a large brand or media publisher. Previous management experience is highly preferred.
• Proven experience exceeding goals in audience growth and engagement
• A strong knowledge of all available social analytics and scheduling tools
• Excellent editorial judgement, the ability to quickly write and edit attention-grabbing copy, and a clear understanding of GQ’s voice and visual style
• Must be confident, collaborative, and communicative with a desire to thrive in a fast-paced media environment